About Me

My photo
I am a future teacher who values whimsy in the classroom!

Monday, February 27, 2017

My Health and Fitness

My word of the month for February was "health", and I succeeded in making some small strides in the area of health and fitness, but I still have a long way to go! (In fact, I've decided to make my goal word for March: "exercise", to continue working but get a little more specific).

I've never been very good at being active, and I generally eat pretty healthy in the sense that I don't eat fast food or frozen foods, but I definitely enjoy a lot more cheese, bread, and sugar than I should. I've been trying to make small changes, that I can (more or less) stick to!

So far, here is what I'm working on changing:

Food:

I try to make my biggest meal breakfast, and gradually eat less throughout the day. This is hard for me, because I don't love breakfast foods like I love lunch and dinner foods, but since I have class in the morning every day, the energy breakfast gives me is necessary. It's also supposed to help you eat less throughout the day.

My breakfasts usually consist of:
- a breakfast sandwich (not great for you, but the cafeteria doesn't offer many choices). I get eggs, cheese, and bacon on an English muffin, so I feel like it's a good amount of protein.
- either yogurt and granola or fruit



Lunch/Snack:

I try not to eat a meal for lunch, and instead snack on something healthy after my class gets out at noon every day. This could be a few different things:
- a banana and peanut butter that I take from the cafeteria at breakfast and save. (Again, I acknowledge that the peanut butter probably isn't amazing for me, but I'm trying to keep my goals realistic).
- any combination of dried fruit, applesauce, and nuts. (Sometimes trail mix with chocolate in it).
- a green drink, at least once a day.

Dinner:

For dinner, I either go to the cafeteria again or have something else snack-y in my room. I stick to a few basics:
- a salad, or a wrap (just a salad in a spinach wrap).
- More fruit/applesauce/nuts
- a burrito (I only put rice, chicken, and cheese).



I really like these meals because I don't feel restricted at all - they're things I already like, and they're easy. On weekends, and whenever I'm with friends, I eat whatever I want. I feel like it's most important to enjoy your life! I'm just trying to be a little more conscious of what I eat, and attempting to cut out sandwiches, sweets, and sugary drinks.

Speaking of beverages:

I used to occasionally get coffee in the mornings, but only yummy kinds like mochas. And for night classes, I would often grab hot chocolate, to have something warm to sip on.
Now, I have a handful of cocoa nibs in the morning for energy (they're very bitter and meant for energy - they're not chocolaty or good tasting). If I want a warm beverage for comfort, I drink only hot tea. Besides that, all I drink is water. I aim for 8 glasses a day!

Exercise:

I sent my boyfriend this snapchat:


And being the angel that he is, the next thing I knew I had these!


So now I have shoes to work out in!

-I absolutely hate working out, but I don't mind running. I just hate to be seen running;) As a solution to this little dilemma, I've started running up and down my stairs. I live on the 3rd floor, and surprisingly few people take the stairs. So every day, I've begun exercising by walking down the three flights, and then running back up. I do this for as long as possible, which, as it turns out, is not very long. After about 15 minutes my legs begin to shake. Despite this, I think it's going pretty well. It's an excellent form of exercise, even for short periods. According to the Internet, climbing up stairs for 20 minutes burns more calories than running for an hour. Plus, I'm planning on doing it every day in March, so I have no doubt that I'll work my way up to longer periods of exertion!

- I've found that I can also work out in my room. I despise the gym because I hate having people around me when I'm all sweaty and out of breath, so all I do is push-ups and sit-ups in the privacy of my dorm. It's hard to make myself do it, so I tell myself that any time I watch something on the computer, I must do push-ups and sit-ups. I enjoy my Youtube and Netflix, so that rule has really helped.

General Changes

- I try not to eat past 7pm now.
- I always take the stairs, and the longest way to class when I have time.
- Water, water, water.
- Absolutely no soda or alcohol (empty calories, and not even satisfying!)
- I try not to eat until I'm full.
- I wrote "food is fuel" on my whiteboard, and it reminds me every day.
- I made a private Instagram account where I can track changes, but so far I only have one picture because I don't think I've made any improvements yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment