About Me

My photo
I am a future teacher who values whimsy in the classroom!

Monday, January 9, 2017

Lesson Plan: Writing Children's Books

In my college career, I've had to create many lesson plans. Some, I've done half-heartedly, I'll admit. There have been others, however, that I have really enjoyed, and have decided to use in my own classroom some day.
The following project was one I did in my Children's Literature class, in my second year of college. The assignment was to write and illustrate our own children's book. I wrote mine for very young children, and while I certainly don't think it's good, I did think it was fun to do. I "illustrated" it by making shapes out of paper, and taking pictures of those paper shapes. I loved that there was a lot of creative freedom, and would love to implement this in my own classroom by giving the same vague instructions - "write a children's book". I would love to see the kinds of stories and pictures the children might come up with!



 My story is about a shy, serious little bunny whose life changes for the better when he makes a new friend, but the stories could be about anything! I remember doing a similar project when I was in 5th grade, and I know it was a huge hit with me. Afterwards, the students could present thier stories to the class, or with a partner!

No comments:

Post a Comment